Wednesday, May 16, 2007

No Prudes Allowed

Okay...I just started reading The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron, and I'm having a great time. Such a well-deserved recipient of the Newbery, the book is a fun read. I checked it out from the library, though, not because it won the Newbery, but because of the controversy surrounding the first page. I'll admit it. I'm a sucker for a hen fight.

On the first page of this book, written to the middle-school category (ages 11 - 14), an unfortunate dog named Roy is bitten on the scrotum by a snake. The presence of the word, scrotum, has twisted panties across the nation and caused an enormous stir.

And we wonder why Europeans laugh at us. What kind of a person would object to such a thing? Are there really such puritanical hypocrites who think that children's vocabularies should be censored to this degree? Scrotums exist. They happen, on dogs and humans.

No comments: