Tuesday, December 06, 2022

Recreational Conspiricies

Back in the 1980s, I lived in Southern California, and I became study buddies with a woman who believed that Elvis was still alive. When she was with only me, she could reluctantly admit that she knew he was dead. But I think this community of people who also believed gave her a place to belong. They had crazy kind of scavenger hunts and clues would emerge and they'd all rush to Hollywood or wherever, hoping to see him or catch a picture of him, or maybe they'd find another clue. It was great fun for my friend, and I loved hearing her stories. Harmless compared to what's happening today, but somehow, when I wonder how anyone could be stupid enough to fall for this Qanon rubbish, I remember this friend from the past and the pleasure I could see in her eyes as she told me about the latest excursion.

No comments: