Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Flashathon on Zoe

Ellen Parker initiated a flashathon on Zoetrope's flash workshop page. The deal is to post a flash a day for two weeks. It'll probably kill me, but I'm going to do it. So far, I've done well for one day in a row. I'm committed to writing new flashes, too, not recycling old stuff, although I did try to rework a piece out of my essay, The Dead Files. I won't post it, though. New stuff only!!!

So, a flash is defined, at least here, as anything 1000 words or fewer. Zoetrope has a sort of silly rule that says a flash can't be fewer than 100 words. How can you put a minimum to flash?

Anyway, here's the real kicker. For each flash you post on Zoe, you have to review 5 flashes by other submitters. That's a lot of critiques per day. But, so far, I've discovered some new writers I didn't know and I'm getting to read a lot more of the writers I already love, so it's a pretty good deal all around. And I get a lot of critiques too. So, we'll see how it goes. In two weeks, I'll probably be flashed out.

No comments: