Monday, May 14, 2007

Book Reviews on Web Page

I finally updated my web page. Yeah, I have a blog and a web page. So, what? But, you raise a good question. Why do I have a blog? And why do I have a web page?

I sort of envision this blog as a place to post information on the craft of writing, sort of a record of a journey. When my first novel is published, this blog will mark the milestones of the journey, for me more than anyone else. I've seen how blogs are used well as a networking tool. Blogs don't work in that regard until after a certain tipping point in one's career, a place where I have yet to arrive.

Likewise, the web page. Vanity, more than anything else, caused me to buy nancycorbett.com. Just as vanity caused me to do a search for hits on my name. I've had several short pieces and personal essays published on line, and I wanted to see what would come up. To my surprise, there are several nancy corbetts out there who return on a google search. There's a New York attorney, a university professor, and a receptionist at a small company who share my name.

The web site, nancycorbett.com, was acquired for a mere $9.95 and is a place for me to put stuff. I have some slide shows of hikes John and I have taken here in the Pacific Northwest. And I have started a series of book reviews. The books I am reading in 2007 will all appear under various categories. It's fun more than anything else. And I'm not freaking out if I don't put every ounce of my strength into it. When it ceases to be fun, I won't do it anymore.

I have a hosting company that's run by a bunch of kids and they do an okay job of keeping everything up and running. Plus, they run on Linux, and they let me create my own shell accounts so that I can do things from a command line, plus, they run MySQL, plus I can do everything I need to do without bothering them, plus they're cheap. Dreamhost also maintains my anonymity when it comes to my domain ownership. So, if you run a whois on me, you can't find my home address, phone number and bra size. Of course, on my business web page for SoftCopy, I do give my email address and phone number, but not my bra size.

Anyway, I finally got around to updating the personal web page and added the latest book review on The Thirteenth Tale. Boy! What a great debut novel! Wish I could have said something to do it justice.

No comments: