Tuesday, July 04, 2023

Plaguenotes: Notes from April 2021

 

Like a lot of us, I've been spending more time on social media than usual. I'm feeling isolated and have wanted to make sure all of you are safe and hanging in there. But I need to step away from some of you. There is so much ugliness in the world right now, and Facebook is a magnet for it. First, we have a former president who is using a deadly illness to promote his political agenda, at the cost of lives. He is capitalizing on people's fear and frustration, fanning the flames when he could be offering support. We have people storming state capitols, brandishing weapons and swastikas, who are being considered peaceful protesters. People are hindering entrances to hospitals and being disrespectful to the front-line workers. 
 
But here’s the flip side. The left, of which I consider myself a part, is gleefully dancing on the graves of protestors who die due to their ignorance and political convictions. Leftists are screaming that protestors should be denied medical treatment. Since when is stupidity a reason to deny someone medical treatment? Medical professionals may wish they could comply with that, but they have integrity. They have taken an oath to provide treatment to those in need regardless of their affiliations. So, stop it! Just shut the fuck up and stop wishing people would die. Stop squealing with joy when they do die. We’re all frustrated and frightened. What we’re seeing on both sides is how Americans manifest fear. No one looks really pretty right now. So, step back, acknowledge that you are afraid and figure out a better way to deal with it.
In his inaugural address in 1933 (way before my time, I want to point out), FDR said, “We have nothing to fear but fear itself.” The true meaning of that knocked me over recently. Look at what fear is doing to people in this country. I believe that, if we don’t redirect our energies away from hating each other, we will all die. 
 
Stop shaming people who are upset or are not wearing a mask or are in the supermarket with their children. Stop assuming you know the whole story of everyone you see. Every single person is dealing with this as best he, she, they is able. There is so much of this that is beyond my experience. I haven’t lost anyone. I get to work from home. Thousands upon thousands of people who have lovingly built businesses which we all enjoy have seen their livelihoods, their businesses fall into the toilet because of this. The employees of so many places I have gone to for years are without work. It’s easy to blame the governor. It’s human nature to want to blame someone. Remember that no one saw this coming. So, if our governor is not doing everything exactly as you would want it done, remember that he didn’t see it coming either. In a very short time, he made some far-reaching decisions while under fire from the White House. Maybe he didn’t get everything right, but I think he is acting with our best interests in mind. And I am convinced that he has saved countless lives.
 
I’ve gotten caught up in the hate-spam too. I’ve posted several things that go against my own personal rules of conduct on social media. I apologize for contributing to the escalation of fear. But I’m backing away now. I’m getting sick because of all of this. My head is constantly pounding, I’m not sleeping, I have feelings of dread and hopelessness and I’ve been acting like a real bitch to everyone. I want you all to know that I love you all very much, but I am dropping off of all groups and am blocking several people who frequently post hateful things. Facebook lets you do a 30 day block. I’m going to see if it does the trick. So, I’ll see some of you later and some others much later.
 

No comments: